Blog 3
1. What role does the media play in how we feel about our
bodies? How can health educators help to prepare effective messages that
counter some of the negative images and ideas generated in the media? Do you
think that the media is embracing more diversity in body shape, size and color
than what was "acceptable" years ago?

I remember growing up in highschool and how the media made a
huge impact about how I felt about my body. “ The perfect” images were either
portrayed in the fashion style magazines, commercial, movies, and even
advertisements. Health educators can help prepare effective messages to counter
the negative images generated in the media by embracing all body types.
Educators can also explain the four different body types of a woman: gynaeoid
body, android body, thyroid body, and the lymphatic body. The more educated an
individual is the more comfortable they are at understanding about themselves.
I think throughout the past few years, social media has embraced more diversity
in body shape, size and color than what was “acceptable”. There are some women
who are proud of their bodies and embrace it like Adele, Queen Latifa, and
Melissa McCarthy. These women show confidence, are comfortable, and accept
themselves for the way that they are.
Marinita,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I must agree with you. Our media emphasizes that being small and petite is beautiful. I am not small or petite, but I am not dangerously overweight. I feel that being in good shape and comfortable with our bodies is enough. Women do not need to be anorexic to look beautiful, since that is what is seen in runaway shows. It makes me think what are we teaching our younger generation. We need to teach them to be healthy. Yes, Queen Latifah and Melissa McCarthy are a good example of confident women.